Wikiporno:Ways to help WikiPorno
(Redirected from Ways to help Wikiporno)
There are as many ways to help WikiPorno as there are users. This article is for those who like the idea of WikiPorno, but are having a hard time getting started with contributing.
- Find articles to help with. There are many ways to do this.
- Special:Newpages gives you all the pages that have been created recently.
- Special:Recentchanges gives you the pages that have been edited recently.
- Orphaned pages gives you articles that do not have links pointing to them. Unless you do something about them, they are most likely to be forgotten about, because contributors will ordinarily never come across them or improve them.
- Dead-end pages are those which do not link to any other. Sometimes this is okay, but often this indicates that the page has been created by a new user who is not yet familiar with inserting wikilinks.
- Special:Randompage, as the name suggests, will throw up a random page. Usually, you can find something to improve in any page.
- Review Sites. This is one of the easiest ways to get started. Simply review a site that has not yet been reviewed or add to a site that has been reviewed but has not been reviewed completely. Make sure to use the WikiPorno:Article Templates when creating a new review.
- Profile Porn Stars. This is one of the easiest ways to get started. Simply add a profile for a porn star that has not been profiled yet or add to a profile that has been created but has not been completely. Make sure to use the WikiPorno:Article Templates when creating a new review.
- Proofread. This is one of the easiest ways to get started with helping with WikiPorno. While you're reading an article, watch for spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, or other writing gaffes. If you see one, edit the page and correct it. WikiPorno is now that much better -- thanks to you!
- Reformat articles. Wikiporno has a manual of style for giving a consistent look-and-feel to our content and making it easier for users to find and use information. Just as with proofreading, you can do a lot of good just by reformatting or restructuring articles to match the Manual. Articles that need reformatting are typically stub articles, which usually lack standard headings and outlines. The dead end pages, which list articles without any links on them, are also worth a look.
- Expand listings. It can help a lot to take short listings, or other listings and fill them out. Contributors will often leave out crucial information about an attraction, such as its address, phone number, hours, or price. Often, this information can be found on the World Wide Web (see contributor research links for some starting points).
- Check for articles for places you've visited. As with your home town, find articles for places you've visited. Check them for accuracy, add information, or start them new.
- Don't limit yourself to things you already know. You don't have to have firsthand knowledge of a destination or topic to contribute to the article! Find articles that need work and do some research -- on Wikipedia, on the Web, or with other reference media -- to get started on working on that article.
- Respond to requests. Sometimes people put up requests in the WikiPorno:Help wanted area for articles, images, or work to be done on articles. Keep an eye on these pages: Requests for articles and Requests for images.
- Watch for wanted articles. The Special:Wantedpages feature of our software lets you see which articles have been linked to but not yet written. These are excellent places to get started -- you're filling in what is an obvious need for the travel guide.
- Follow red links. While you're reading articles, if you see a link for an article that's Not There Yet, follow the link and add in some information. We're nowhere near close to covering all the info we need to have -- when you start a new page, we're that much closer.
- Promote WikiPorno. The more people who read and contribute to WikiPorno, the better it becomes, and the closer we get to our goal of making a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide pornography guide. There are a number of ways to promote WikiPorno; check to see if you can do one or more of them.
- Help new contributors. New users contributing to WikiPorno can have a lot of questions and problems. Your experience with WikiPorno can make their learning curve a lot easier. Watch for questions in the Lounge or on talk pages and respond helpfully. If you see the same question over and over, add it to the FAQ. You can even add to the Help index for more complicated questions or issues. If there are help topics already in place that people seem not to see or understand, maybe you can help get that information out by reorganizing the help area.
- Welcome new users. When new users come onto WikiPorno, it's nice to leave them a brief welcome message pointing them to important parts of the site. We normally wait until folks have created a user account and possibly set up their own user page. Welcome messages let new contributors know that they're part of a community, and also make sure they have pointers to important tools for contributing.
- Clean up the Lounge. The Lounge, as the default place to put discussions about WikiPorno, tends to get a little crowded at times. For this reason people take turns moving discussions out of the pub and into the archives or to more specific talk pages. It only takes a few minutes, it helps make discussions more clear, and it's easy to do.