Celebrity Sex Tapes
A celebrity sex tape is a home video of sex acts, as performed by a celebrity and his or her partner, which finds Internet and/or bootleg distribution and made available to an audience for which it was not supposedly intended.
It is generally illegal for a person to distribute celebrity sex tapes because many of the videos exist in some copyrighted form. Some of the videos are illegal in certain jurisdictions due to being child pornography. However, at least some tapes, such as 1 Night in Paris, are distributed with the willing participation of the involved parties.
Famous celebrity sex tapes
All of the following mentions are of tape(s) that have either been released or confirmed to exist.
- The ex-husband of model Carolyn Murphy, Jake Schroeder allegedly tried to sell a tape featuring him and his ex-wife having sex during their honeymoon in 1999 while in Barbados. In January 2006 Schroeder was arrested and charged with extortion for trying to sell the tape. The video was leaked onto the internet in April 2006.
- Former sportscaster and blaxploitation actress Jayne Kennedy had a sex tape stolen and released showing her with former husband Leon Isaac Kennedy. It is notorious for featuring comparatively extreme sex acts, particularly its scene of fisting.
- Paris Hilton and then-boyfriend Rick Salomon recorded themselves having sex in a hotel room, shot in so-called night-vision. Hilton initially attempted to stop the distribution of the tape, but later agreed to its release. She now receives profits from the tape. Unusually for a celebrity scandal, the notoriety surrounding the tape only served to increase Hilton's fame. This footage, along with additional full-color footage, was released commercially under the title 1 Night in Paris.
- A sex tape of figure skater Tonya Harding and her husband Jeff Gillooly was leaked to the internet and subsequently became so widely available that the couple decided to legitimately release it on their own. It is commercially sold as as the "Wedding Night" tape, although the wedding gown was actually a Halloween costume.
- Actor Rob Lowe almost destroyed his own career when, in the 1980s, he taped himself having sex with two young girls, one of whom turned out to be underage.
- California pornography company Red Light District claims to have acquired a 1999 sex tape in which singers Kid Rock and Scott Stapp (former singer of the band Creed) engage in sex acts with four groupies. Rock also filed an injunction, called Stapp an "idiot" and blaming him for the tape's leak.
- An early internet celebrity sex video, the honeymoon of Pamela Anderson and then-husband Tommy Lee, was placed online by Internet Entertainment Group in 1998.
- The sexual exploits of Pamela Anderson and Bret Michaels (singer of the band Poison) were released as a DVD on September 7 2005. However, the footage had been circulating on the internet for many years.
- In 2004, professional wrestlers Joanie Laurer (better known as Chyna) and Sean Waltman (aka X-Pac) which is being sold under the title 1 Night in China. Unusually, the tape was not accidentally leaked, but was actually solicited to pornographic film distributors by the duo, possibly in an attempt at a career boost.
- Actor Colin Farrell admitted that a 13-minute sex tape he made with ex-girlfriend and Playboy Playmate Nicole Narain exists. He was successful in obtaining a court order to block its distribution, but in January 2006 copies appeared on the internet.
- Kelsey Grammer sued Internet Entertainment Group under the mistaken impression that it had purchased from Grammer's former girlfriend Cerlette Lamme a sex tape the couple had made. He dropped the suit after IEG counter-sued and stated that it had not bought or possessed the video his ex-girlfriend had been trying to sell. Grammer reportedly bought the tape from his former girlfriend for $1 million.
- Actor Bob Crane of Hogan's Heroes fame made numerous home sex tapes in the 1970s with early VCR technology. His exploits were immortalized in the movie Auto Focus.
- Ulrika Jonsson won a court order banning footballer Stan Collymore from selling an explicit video of the pair indulging in sexual activity.
- South Korean pop star Baek Ji Young suffered a scandal when a tape of her and her former manager having sex in a hotel room appeared on a Korean pay-per-view channel.
- In 2007, a Brazilian court ordered YouTube shut down until it removed a video featuring sex between Brazilian model and hostess for MTV Brasil Daniela Cicarelli (who is also the ex-wife of Brazilian soccer great Ronaldo) and her boyfriend. Legal experts believe the Brazilian court order will be difficult if not impossible to enforce on YouTube, a division of Google, a U.S.-based company.
- Saved by the Bell actor Dustin Diamond authorised the release of a 40-minute sex tape in 2006 in the hopes that it would bring in profits and provide a boost to his career.
- British TV personality Abi Titmuss appears in a sex tape featuring herself, her ex-TV presenter boyfriend John Leslie, and another woman.
- Page 3 Idol 2004 Keeley Hazell had a 10 minute sex tape featuring herself and her ex-boyfriend released in early January 2007.
- Socialite and Paris Hilton friend Kim Kardashian confirmed the existence of a sex tape of her made by then-boyfriend Ray J. She threatened to use legal means to block its planned distribution by Vivid Video.
- A tape of Croatian pop star Severina Vučković having sex with a married man was released on the internet in 2004. She claimed the video was stolen and sued. The case was later dismissed.
- In 2004, an explicit 42 minute long sex tape emerged featuring Jenna Lewis of Survivor fame and husband Travis Wolfe in a Las Vegas hotel room. The video includes full penetrative sex and oral sex. It was originally thought that Lewis and Wolfe made the sex video purely for their own private use and that it was somehow accidentally leaked onto the internet. In interviews, Lewis had even talked about the embarrassment she said she felt at the prospect of anybody being able to see her naked and performing sexual acts. However, this started to come into question as reports appeared suggesting that in fact Lewis decided to deliberately release a sex tape of herself to increase her fame and make money from it.  In some interviews Lewis even mentioned how people could buy the video arousing further suspicion.
Rumoured or disputed sex tapes
Many tapes that are released or believed to be available can claim to be of a particular celebrity but certain factors challenge the validity of these claims. In the case of disputed tapes many things such as poor quality video, bad lighting and similarities in physical features can make many question whether the tape is of the celebrity mentioned. While in cases where there is no video or clips available it will generally be regarded as rumored until further evidence arises.
- It is rumored that a copy of a sex tape involving Britney Spears and her ex-lover. John Lamendola Of Fremont, Ca. Had been stolen from Spears' home in 2005. US Weekly published this rumor and Spears sued the magazine in December 2005. In November 2006 it was reported that Spears lost the case. Since then, it has been rumored that Federline was going to sell the four-hour sex movie if Spears does not pay $30 million for the divorce and gives Federline custody of both their children. However, Federline's lawyer publicly stated that there was no such tape in existence.
- It has been reported that Paris Hilton made a lesbian sex tape with Playboy Playmate Nicole Marie Lenz. Lenz has spoken about this in an interview with the British newspaper News of the World. This rumor was first reported in November 2003.
- An alleged sex tape of O.J. Simpson and two prostitutes was distributed over the internet in June 2006 at http://www.badoj.com. Simpson's lawyer acknowledges that Simpson does appear fully clothed in the tape but that the man engaged in sex acts with the same women is simply a look-alike. The tape's distributor maintains that the man in the tape is, in fact, Simpson.
- Jelena Veljaca, the star of Croatian soap "Ljubav u Zaledzu" is alleged to have appeared on a sex tape taken by a mobile phone.
- Zahra Amir Ebrahimi, one of the best-known actresses in Iran. In 2006, a 20-minute sex tape from 2004 hit the Internet starring Ebrahimi's then-fiance and a woman bearing a resemblance to Ebrahimi. Ebrahimi has denied that the girl is her and has suggested the possibility of a look-alike being used by her ex-fiance to hurt her career.
- There have been persistent rumors that Joan Crawford acted in several pornographic films early in her career, including some with lesbian content. The films (if they ever existed) are supposed to have been all destroyed upon her entry into Hollywood as a legitimate actress.
- In 1980, a Swedish photographer discovered a 16mm hardcore sex short film from around 1948, purportedly featuring a young Marilyn Monroe. Supporters of the theory that the woman in the film is indeed Monroe point to FBI files in which Joe DiMaggio is reported to have offered twenty-five thousand dollars for a print of a "French-type" movie ostensibly featuring Monroe "in unnatural acts with an unknown male."
- Popular 50s and 60s television actor Chuck Connors, and star of such series as The Rifleman and Branded, was rumored to have appeared in a hardcore gay film short, although the man in the film is most likely an unidentified look-alike.
- A man whose voice bears a strong resemblance to that of pioneering rock singer and guitarist Chuck Berry is heard on a urologically-themed tape commercially sold under the title "Chuck Berry's Home Movies". The tape largely consists of the man urinating on a woman in a bathtub while passing gas loudly, although the man's face cannot be seen.
Fake or fraudulent sex tapes
Some videos that have surfaced can allege to be of a particular celebrity but have turned out to be fake.
- In the 1970s, a porno film was purported to feature Barbra Streisand before she became a star. The clip has floated around for decades and the woman does bear a striking resemblance to Streisand. According to Streisand, she actually viewed the film herself out of curiosity.