Red Light District
|Red Light District|
|Number of films:||289|
|Red Light District Videos|
Red Light District Video (RLD) is an American pornographic movie studio headquartered in Chatsworth, California.
The company was founded in 2002 by performer and director Vince Vouyer, a longtime exclusive director at Anabolic Video, and industry veteran Dion Giarrusso, who had worked as general manager of Elegant Angel. The plan was to emulate Evil Angel's setup where producers/directors would own their own movies, and share in the profits. Vince's own company, Vouyer Productions, owned his titles. Other initial directors there included David Luger and Brandon Iron, neither of which owned any movies. Most movies produced by RLD are considered Gonzo pornography.
In 2003 Platinum X Pictures was launched by Michael Stefano and Jewel De'Nyle (married at the time), bankrolled by Dion and Red Light District Video. Platinum X featured directors Manuel Ferrara, Brandon Iron and John Strong among others.
Vouyer and Giarrusso eventually brought over many of Vince's colleagues from Anabolic in 2004. Erik Everhard, Lexington Steele, and Mike John joined RLD, where they could start their own production companies to be distributed by the RLD infrastructure. Steele's stay was brief, as he left to start his own studio, Mercenary Pictures, after only a few releases at Red Light.
Dion's silent partner in Red Light had been his brother, David Joseph. In 2004 Dion left the company. David took over the reins, slowly shifting from a business model based on producer/director ownership, to a model where he owned more and more titles, and could profit accordingly. He, for all intents and purposes, merged RLD and PXP, 'promoting' Stefano and Ferrara to RLD.
Through a relationship with Rick Salomon, Joseph was able to get rights to 2004's massive hit movie, 1 Night in Paris, starring Paris Hilton.The same year Red Light released 1 Night in China, starring Sean Waltman and Joanie Laurer.
In early 2006, several of the RLD directors decided they weren't getting a fair share, and announced they were leaving. Everhard and Ferrara joined Evil Angel; Mike John joined Jules Jordan's new company Jules Jordan Video; and RLD founder Vince Vouyer left to start Vouyer Media, to be distributed by Wicked Pictures.
In April 2006, Dion opened up his new production company Combat Zone.
- 2003 AVN Award - 'Best Oral-Themed Feature' for "Throat Gaggers"
- 2004 AVN Award - 'Best Pro-Am or Amateur Release' for Breakin' Em in 5
- 2004 AVN Award - 'Best Pro-Am Release' for Breakin' Em in 5
- 2005 AVN Award - 'Best P.O.V. Release' for P.O.V. Pervert 3
- 2005 AVN Award - 'Top Renting Release of the Year' for 1 Night in Paris
- 2005 AVN Award - 'Top Selling Release of the Year' for 1 Night in Paris
- 2006 AVN Award - 'Best P.O.V. Release' for Manuel Ferrara's POV
- 2006 AVN Award - 'Best Specialty Series' for Cum Drippers
- 2006 AVN Award - 'Top Selling Release of the Year' for 1 Night in China
- 2008 AVN Award - 'Best MILF Series' for Momma Knows Best
- 2009 AVN Award - 'Best Ethnic-Themed Series - Latin' for Young Tight Latinas
Red Light District Filmography
Want your voice to be heard? Submit a review now.